Submitted by Omashani Naidoo
Google Educator Groups are growing steadily with a fantastic membership of 568 teachers since August 2014. This report provides a summary of all Google Educator Group activities for January 2015 and the rest of the quarter.
So what’s the fuss?
Google Educator Groups aims to grow voluntary groups of teachers who are ICT Champions who want to be leaders that work in their immediate communities to spread the awareness of the various Google offerings and keep ICT oriented or interested teachers involved in regular discussions around ICT Integration for teaching and learning.
What’s the GEG curriculum all about?
- The curriculum is in the format of in-class delivery, rather than online modules.
- The curriculum covers the following Google products: Drive, Gmail, Presentations, Forms, Maps, Sites, Google+ Communities, Hangouts.
- Curriculum includes 10 take-away activities which are specific lessons designed for the teachers to take back and use with their classe
- Online safety is integrated throughout the lessons when relevant
- Each lesson has skills-based activities and a skills based output to asses. Each lesson also has a knowledge based assessment (multiple choice exam).
- There are Classroom Connections at the end of each lesson focused on how else the highlighted product can be used in the classroom.
- There is a cumulative exam associated with the curriculum. If teachers pass it they will be granted a Google for Education Basics Level Certificate Google for Education Basics Exam These basic exams are free and will award a certificate to each user. The more advanced certificates require payment; however it may be possible to get a subsidy for this J
The GEG South Africa Google+ Community is alive and populated almost daily with events and training thus far completed.
GEG Dainfern kicked off 2015 with a bang and hosted our first event for the year. Anthony Egbers and Pam Macmillan lead the pack with fun filled learning activities.
The GEG Cape Town-West Coast leaders, Lindsay Durell, Anthony Peters, and Arthur Preston host an event at Inkwenkwezi High School. Read more on the West Coast community page.
What GEG events are happening in your area?
Limpopo: GEG Polokwane was launched on the weekend at Hoerskool Noordeland.
Eastern Cape: Abrie Pepler and Claire Dean with GEG East London are about to host their first event at Selborne Primary. The date will soon be announced on the GEG SA community.
Eastern Cape: GEG Port Elizabeth, is launching with Brenda Hallowes with a fun-filled Friday Picnic at Cotswold Primary 20 March 2015.
Gauteng: GEG Northcliff, and Tracy Tschohl will be launching at the School Library, North West Christian School on the 6th March 2015.
Western Cape: Jane Mackenzie-Hoskyn and GEG Eden on the Garden Route is launching soon.
Join the GEG South Africa Google+ Community to stay informed about events coming to your area. For more information about GEG, contact firstname.lastname@example.org